Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day!

My first memories of my dad were about how much he and my mom loved each other. I remember, too, being part of that love. My dad worked hard and studied diligently in college, but he also knew how to have fun. Whether it was throwing me up high in the grocery store, the tickle bugs, camping trips, finding a steep sledding hill, or crankin' up the rock 'n' roll! As I got older, my dad made time to do things, just the two of us, like hiking down to the river, skiing, or taking a drive and just talking. That was really important to me, even in my "eye-rolling, I've-got-it-all-figured-out" teenager stage.

And now I have the pleasure of seeing this from a mom's point of view, seeing my daughter and husband together. On the tougher days, it's enough to make a mom green with jealousy, but mostly it's incredibly heart-warming. My daughter already knows what it means to be a girl (and a mother, in some sense). It's from her father that she learns what a good man is: someone who works hard to provide for his family and pursues his passions, someone who likes to figure things out himself but isn't afraid to ask for help or collaboration, someone who spins a good story but knows when to listen, someone who loves life and knows how to play. I see my husband inspire my daughter in ways that I do not. And for us, for now, that's just the way it should be.

I am so grateful for these two fine men in my life. I hope that they both know how very much I appreciate them.

What do you appreciate about the fathers in your life?

5 comments:

  1. Jenell, I really enjoyed reading this post about you and your father. What an awesome relationship! My grandpa was my Dad and of course I think he was the best Dad a girl could ever hope for. He loved me unconditionally, always gave me words of encouragement, had a wonderful sense of humor, and was quite the dancer. He would take us on camping trips and road trips often. I love and miss him!
    My husband reminds me so much of him-his mannerisms and gentle personality. I'm so happy and proud to have married such a wonderful man and truelly awesome father. I know I am blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenell, beautiful post. I too appreciate my husband's relationships with my kids so much. I love the way you put it--that our daughters (and sons) are seeing from them what a good man is. It's so true in my husband's case. I did not have a good relationship with *either* of my dads so I am always quite green with envy when I read about those who do. My grandpa was that guy for me, though, and I miss him so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so blessed! To have grown up surrounded by such love, and for your daughter to have the same experience. It's heart-warming to read, it's good to know it does happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so fortunate to have had such a great father figure in your life. So many of us are having to work so hard to change the patterns of the past and create anew those healthy and nurturing role models.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mama Rose, I really enjoyed reading about your grand-dad. Tomorrow I will catch up on reading everyone's posts from the weekend. I noticed you've got a picture of your grand-dad. I can't wait to read about him.

    Lisa, I'm sorry to hear about your relationship with your dads. It sounds like your grandfather was able to give you enough of what you needed to know what a good man is.

    sarah, I am blessed. I am blessed to know that I am blessed. It wasn't always that way. I've had bleak times, times when my relationships with men were less than ideal. Times when I blamed my dad.

    nettlejuice, ah, your words remind me of something that I must add to this post. I'll do that tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete